My views, observations, questions about everything in this world ....and that country they call Egypt.

12 August 2007

The Spies Hide Out In Every Corner

I can be stupid sometimes, I amaze myself. So I got a job interview at a respectable big firm. They called to notify me of the interview a whole week beforehand, and that's just too long. But again, maybe I should have written something down. So I get there, after a 50 minutes commute, to find that my interviewer is away on business. I get a little pissed off so I start speaking a little louder to the receptionists, though not yet shouting. How could they be so incompetent and get me here when the guy is away??? So I leave a note in a formally annoyed tone saying that I've come on time but the dude wasn't there. I was so frustrated that day I was venting out to everyone about how I hate such disorganization and lack of common sense in Egypt. The next the lady at the company called me to tell me that I was actually a day early for my interview!! I, of course, had no choice but to insist that she gave me the wrong date and that it's not my fault. To this day I'm not really sure if I was told the wrong date or if it is my memory that played tricks on me and made me go a day earlier. Now that I think about it, I'm leaning towards the latter. Brutal huh?

Err after a story like that, I so feel like blowing my own horn and tell you about what happened to me in Khan El Khalily, but I won't. Actually I did write it then replaced it by this paragraph. It's not nice to brag... uff.

A few days ago I went out with a guy that I didn't know very well. It was a long day but the highlight was the Freedom Cafe. If you don't know it, it's a cheap cafe downtown that serves cold beer, popular amongst tourists and Egyptian films. It was my first time there but it looked so familiar cause I've seen it in a few Egyptian movies already! So mid-way through his beer, the dude hints to his gayness!! He didn't say he was gay but he sorta said that he might be open to trying gay stuff. Saying this is of course a taboo amongst straight guys all over the world. Is that why he wanted to go out or did he really just wanna talk? Anyways so it was tricky from my side conveying to him that I'm cool with gay guys yet I'm not gay. Do I have to show some homophobia in order to appear straight?

I have to go pick up a girl now who's covertly moving out of her parents house in pursuit of freedom. In Egypt, this is an extremely bold step. It's a life changing, one-way decision that only a strong determined woman can take. If I feel like I'm in a movie just going to pick her up, how does she feel???

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-D
eih el aflam dih kolaha!
interview bayez
aflam cafe
a strange conversation
a girl moving out
:-)
fe3lan aflam awy!

3:49 PM

 
Blogger BHCh said...

You won't know how she feels until you try - unless you already have.

Anyway, what's wrong with bragging? Come on, spill the beans!

1:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm what is life but a low budget movie....

6:32 PM

 
Blogger Mo'men said...

*on zerocool's commect*
Bands appart productions can turn it easily into another Q.tarantino box office hit.

3:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's scared. or at least i was the two times i tried to leave my parents house-- but it's the rollercoaster kind of scared :)
it's nice of you to help her out, she's going to need a lot of support from friends.

and of course you dont have to look homophobic to be straight!
that'd get you in a lot more trouble than accidentally leading the guy on somehow-- can you imagine somebody recoiling in horror and saying "istaghfirillah" in horreya of all places?!

nice entry

--sarah

3:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is she covertly moving out of her parents' home? Did she lie to them? Or...

I can't actually think of alternative ways she could do it without them noticing, or knowing sooner or later :)

4:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home