The Mad Terrorist Thought Experiment
This is simple poll. Just answer in a format like this: 1A, 2B, 6A... etc. No need for words.
QI-- Identify yourself:
You think of yourself as;
1. Strong theist. 100 % probability of God. In the words of C. G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2. Very High probability but short of 100%. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
3. Higher than 50% but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4. Exactly 50%. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
5. Lower than 50% but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical.'
6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist, 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on that assumption that he is not there.'
7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'
QII-- What you would do:
The mad terrorist has abducted you. He gives you the following options;
A. The mad terrorist will kill you a slow torturous death. He will start by cutting off a few limbs then he'll burn you alive. He will end it with a slow beheading with a dull blade. No one else will die.
B. The mad terrorist will kill you via a new lethal injection a very peaceful death with zero pain. If you choose this, after you die he will drop a nuclear bomb on a random city with at least 7 million people. NYC, Tokyo, Cairo, Shanghai, Mumbai... etc.
C. If you refuse to choose one of the above options, he will kill you the painful death of Option A and nuke the entire earth!
i) The belief scale is borrowed from Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion.
ii) Sorry for being graphic with option A, I had to.