My views, observations, questions about everything in this world ....and that country they call Egypt.

09 July 2007

Where The Morn Meets The Dew

4:30am is a really weird time to call someone. It is! I mean what is 4:30am?? It is not 'late' and it is not 'early'. It is not the end of the night and it's not the start of the new day. Did you get up early or stay up late to make that call? It is just odd! But that's what happened, my cell phone rang at 4:30am on a weekday. I went to bed at about 3am that night so I wasn't in deep sleep when it rang. I tried to ignore my loud ring tone, but I couldn't. I reached out and answered it. I was sleepy, disoriented, annoyed, and alarmed. It was a female on the other line, and this is how it went:

Me: Hello?
Caller: Hi.
Me: Hi.
Caller: MC?
Me: Yes?
Caller: How are ya? It's me Sally.

She spoke in English. I took a moment to get my English back and gather my thoughts and shake off my dreams.

Me: Sally who? I think you have the wrong number.
Caller: Sally! Sally from New York.

Note: Ya, so places and names are obviously fictional.

Me: Madam, I don't know any Sallys. I'm not sure how you got my number or my name, but it's too late for a prank call right now so I'll have to say goodbye now.
Caller: It's not a prank call. You know that!
Me: Listen, lady I'm not in the mood for this. I have to go back to bed now.
Caller: Why are you pretending?
Me: What???
Caller: Is that you MC?
Me: Are you done with this?
Caller: OK I don't buy it that you don't remember me.
Me: Look, I absolutely have no idea who you are. I only know one Sally and she's my friend's sister and I am quite certain that it's not you.
Caller: What are you doing?
Me: Doing what? Listen, the only reason I haven't hung up right now is because you're a girl and I'm being courteous.
Caller: So what you're just gonna hang up on me now MC?
Me: hmmm... No, but you have to understand how awkward it is for me to get a call from a stranger at 4:30am!!
Caller: I don't know what to say. Can't believe you forgot me.
Me: I'd have to know you first to forget you and I don't!!
Caller: If you are playing with me please stop it now.
Me: Can you please stop this attitude? I'm not doing anything. You're the one who's calling so please get to the point or I'll have to end this.
Caller: ...
Me: Hello?
Caller: Yes.
Me: You have to understand that I am being extremely patient with you. Ok how did you get this number?
Caller: How did I get this number?
Me: Yes, how did you?
Caller: MC, you gave it to me!!
Me: What??
Caller: ...
Me: Ha, I see what this is. Ok, you can stop this prank right now and put whoever it is of my friends that set this up on the line. Is F?? Is it M?? No it must be F... ah or S from overseas... Good one.
Caller: Emm... this is not a prank. No one set this up.
Me: Alright, come on.. it's over, you got me.
Caller: ... (a pause, sobbing)
Me: wow... are you crying?
Caller: No I'm fine.
Me: Ok if this is a game it's a sick one that you're playing on me but I'm gonna take this to the end.
Caller: I just didn't expect this response from you. (still sobbing)
Me: Ok, please no more mysterious statements like that. And please stop acting like you know me. Be honest with me now, who told you to do this?
Caller: No one asked me to do anything. You gave me your number and told me to call if there's a problem.
Me: Wow... ok... this is messed up.
Caller: You really don't remember me?
Me: Are you sure you got the right person?
Caller: I think so.
Me: Ok, now how exactly are we supposed to know each other?
Caller: We met on a train 2 months ago, in New York.
Me: Okay.. hmm.. Are you Egyptian? Sally, that's an Egyptian name... sort of.
Caller: I told you, I'm half Egyptian. That's how we started talking on the train. Remember? you said something about the book that I was reading then you asked me where I'm from.
Me: Lady, what you are talking about has never happened to me in my entire life!!!
Caller: ...
Me: Wait, do you realize you are calling an Egypt number?
Caller: Yes, I know... I had to call you, but I didn't expect this. (emotional).
Me: So why would I give you an Egypt number if we met in New York?
Caller: You were visiting your sister and family here and were heading back to Egypt, so you gave me that number.
Me: That is amazing...
Caller: Please remember MC... you said once that you had bad memory... No that's impossible, people don't just forget things like that, you're just duping me MC.... (crying now)
Me: Ok I'm going to be honest with you. What you said about my sister and family in New York is true. However, I was no where near NY two months ago. I was in Egypt!!
Caller: No that can't be... please don't do this.
Me: Ok Sally, honest to God I don't know what you're talking about. In the last 6 months I've never left Egypt.
Caller: ... (crying)
Me: Ok now I don't see why dialing a wrong number should make you cry now?
Caller: How is this the wrong number? It's you! You're name is MC and you have family in NY.
Me: I think someone has set you up. And set me up as well. Actually I can't believe I actually believed what you've just been telling me here. I mean you're telling me about events that didn't happen to me. How crazy is that?
Caller: Ya.. he he. (a sad laugh escapes through her tears)
Me: Ok Sally. What do I look like?
Caller: What?
Me: What do I look like? If we've really met then you'd know what I look like.
Caller: You're cute!
Me: Ha... ya that's not gonna work with me. Be specific.
Caller: Emm... You have dark wavy black hair. You have kind brown eyes. You have an oval face with full lips. I don't know how to describe you. You're slim with a nice figure.
Me: Hmm... Ok. I guess I can fit into those descriptions. But I think lot's of Egyptian guys fit that same description as well... I mean slim with black hair and brown eyes is very common here.
Caller: Hmm... Ok Let's see. You have pale skin, and not a lot of hair. Almost a boyish look. You have a Fossil watch with a wide black strap. Shall I keep going?
Me: Sally... That's not me!! I have darker skin and facial hair. I do not own a Fossil watch either!
Caller: What are you saying?
Me: You are describing a different person.
Caller: Impossible.
Me: Listen the only thing that I know for certain is that I've never seen you in my life. And I can only think of two explanations for this. 1) This is an elaborate prank call set up by one of my friends. 2) You've met someone that looks like me who happens to know me so he gave you my number as a joke or whatever. And I know quite a few Egyptians in NY, so that it is actually conceivable.
Caller: Are you telling me that two months ago I met someone who later gave me your phone number so he could shake me off?
Me: Either that or you are making all of this up.
Caller: I'm not!! (voice whimpering)
Me: Hey, listen... I'm sorry... I don't know what to do.
Caller: Nothing, it's ok.
Me: Are you sure?
Caller: Ya, I should have seen something like this coming anyways.
Me: Am sorry again.
Caller: It's alright, well I guess this is it then.
Me: Ya... am speechless.
Caller: Ok well, take care then MC or whoever you are.
Me: Hey.. wait.
Caller: Yes?
Me: Emm... sorry to be intrusive, but since we're complete strangers that have been talking for 15mins now, can I ask you why you'd call up this guy that you met at 4:30am?
Caller: Well, it's useless now isn't it? I just wanted to talk.
Me: Now?
Caller: Well, I just couldn't keep it to myself anymore. I had to talk to him and he seemed like a nice guy.
Me: You're being vague again.
Caller: After we met on the train and talked a bit and we went for coffee.
Me: Okay.
Caller: Well, you know. One thing led to another so we ended up in bed. I know it sounds like a one night stand but I think it was a little more than that. There was a... connection. But I couldn't get myself to call earlier.
Me: So you slept with a guy you met on the train? With no protection????
Caller: I know how it sounds but it's really not like that. I don't sleep with random guys at all... And-
Me: (interrupting) No, don't tell me. It's none of my business really... Sorry.
Caller: It's OK.
Me: ...
Caller: Hey how did you know we didn't use protection??
Me: I don't need to be a genius to figure that out. You're calling him at 4:30 in the morning because you obviously found out that you're pregnant recently.
Caller: Right.
Me: Well...
Caller: I guess I'll let you go now.
Me: Sorry I couldn't be of more help but-
Caller: Wait!!
Me: What??
Caller: ...
Me: Hello?
Caller: I have a question now.
Me: What is it?
Caller: If it was someone else that I was with, then why would he use your name? Why would he use the name MC right from the very beginning? Did he know he was gonna sleep with me, and then have to give me your number when he introduced himself? That doesn't make sense does it?

I panicked. There was no way out. I hung up the phone. Oh Crap! It's all down the drain now. My oscar-worthy performance is all down the drain now. What was I supposed to do? It was 4:30am and the only thing I could think of was to act as if it didn't happen. I have to change my number now. I'm too young to be a father or deal with an abortion. I just don't want a mess right now. Quick! Quick! I have to change this number and disappear!


Before, you all start fraking out, this story is not mine. It belongs to an unnamed friend of mine.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok its definitely not:

1 Egypt (she can get an abortion)
2 Trying to get a one night stand to
marry you (her being a westerner who has one night stands) is highly psychotic and stalkish !!!!!

3 He shouldn't run away and should try to convince her to get an abortion.

4 He's a %^&&* for going bareback and risking HIV and a bigger **$**#* for cumming inside her.


have her get an abortion and run the other way she's OFF dude

12:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe a man could be so easily deceiving and heartless. He's in an entirely different country and she can't track him down so the least he could have done was comfort her a bit and be supportive over a phone! It's not like she's going to be able to track him down and force him into fatherhood or to pay for child support.

That's sad... This poor, poor girl. If he wasn't your friend I'd be using much harsher words to describe him.

1:02 AM

 
Blogger Embee said...

I tried to comment before, but somehow blogpost censored my comment :P So here we go again..

Kudos to your friend. Thinking VERY fast on his feet considering it's 4:30 am. I'm glad he managed to dodge that one..

9:48 PM

 
Blogger MechanicalCrowds said...

getitdone,
It is not very clear to me what it is exactly that you are saying with the 1 2 3 4 preceded with "it's definitely not" so allow me to move past your comment.. :)

nilegirl,
I think his family being in the same city played a role in the way he acted. And please don't censer yourself just because he is my friend. I won't be offended.

MB,
Well maybe blogspot censored your comment cause it deemed it offensive to girls all over the world!! Wouldn't you think so?

11:07 PM

 
Blogger The Legal Dealer said...

Wow,I'm sorry but your friend is cold, heartless , incredibly selfish , irresponsible ,immature and a bunch of other stuff I'll probably think of later.
If he thinks he's too young to deal with a "mess" like this, he should have either kept it in his pants or used protection like most people with functioning brains would instead of letting the poor girl deal with a problem (I'm sure he enjoyed creating) like this on her own. What if she decides to keep it? Will he just pretend that the kid never happened either? It'll be amusing to see how many kids he doesn't remember having, exist by the time he's 30.

10:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad ....As a guy with 2 sisters I feel for her. As I would never want them to be treated in such a crass and heartless manner.

2:56 PM

 
Blogger spellz said...

Oh How Cruelllllllll!

The gurl shudnt be the only one to take the responsibility just because she's z one who gets pregnant
He's so selfish
At least he shud have done DNA parental test or asked her for abortion
he's z one who slept with her without protections!
it was his fault too Damn it!
Guys are just silly everywhre!!!!!!

8:14 PM

 
Blogger Embee said...

I feel I should give my previous comment another go.. I'm not endorsing what your friend did. It's definitely not the gentlemanly thing to do. However, I'm not really sure what did she expect when she called someone an ocean away to tell him that's she's pregnant with his baby. It's much her responsibility as much as it's his to have rubber on her. Plus if I were her - if I'm bound to "connect" with people after a train encounter, I wouldn't leave my house without rubber on me.

Hmm.. that wasn't much different from my previous comment. I guess I'm not very sympathetic with her after all..

8:53 PM

 
Blogger Daysleeper said...

poor guy. i understand panicking and it's not heartless of him to react that way-- he was just scared, i doubt anyone with a fraction of a conscience could really stay in denial like that for long.
i hope he talks to her--if only to say how he feels. the poor girl. the poor baby.

i dont think it was stupid what they did, it's very romantic and i'm sure each and every person who's judging them has had a moment where they weren't thinking rationally because of how they felt about someone.

7aram it's such a sad story, i hope they'll be okay--let us know huh?

12:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your "don't freak out" line should have been a little bit upwards.
For what it's worth, I'm glad it's not you. You never struck me as a sell-out.

9:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home